Live Music Assignment
Watch the videos listed below and answer the questions about them on a separate sheet of paper. You will find the links to the video on the band website if you find that easier than typing them in. Go to: http://www.bmmsband.com and click on the link on the homepage for the Live Music Assignment.
Song #1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIGs59nRc8
1) Name the song and the composer.
2) How many separate movements are in this song? You can tell when a movement ends because there is a slight pause in the music before the next movement starts.
3) Pay attention to your instrument. Look for solos to make it easy to hear. Talk about the quality of their sound. Do you sound like them? What makes them sound different? (Hint: the correct answer is not “they’ve been playing longer” etc. Describe their sound.) Write one paragraph to answer.
Song #2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmNbMh9GvHQ
4) Name the song and the Group performing it.
5) What instruments play an improv solo in this song? (Remember, improvisation is where a soloist comes to the front of the stage and makes up a melody on the spot).
Song #3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF33KSAm7dY
6) Name the song and the composer
7) How many movements are in this song and what are their names? In this video, movements are given a title at their beginning. Watch the screen carefully.
8) Listen to the music between 4:00-5:00 AND 6:30-7:30. Compare these two sections. What emotionally is different between these two sections? How does it translate into what a listener feels? What do YOU feel when you listen to these two sections? Are they the same? Write one paragraph to answer.
Song #4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-7XWhyvIpE
9) Name the song and the composer.
10) What was the composer’s nickname and why did he have it?
11) What kind of song is it?
12) Why did he write it? (What was the inspiration for the song?)
13) What instrument has a soli in this song?
14) Do some research about the history of the group playing this piece. Write an informational paragraph about the group.